Cheese Burek (Sirnica)

I couldn't find a recipe online for the cheese Burek I'm used to, so I just made it up kinda guessing how to make it taste like it's supposed to.

Filling:
250g feta cheese, crumbled
100g cream cheese
1 egg

Beat the egg, and mix with cream cheese until thoroughly blended. Fold in feta cheese carefully (try not to break the crumbles too much).

Pastry/Assembly:
I used store bought Phyllo/Filo.
Lay out a sheet, and brush with melted butter, then lay the next sheet on top of it, and brush with butter, etc. The sheets I had were rather small, so I used 4 sheets, but lager sheets may only require 2.

Scoop some of the cheese mixture in a line down one side of the pastry, then roll it like a jelly roll. Dab the edges with water to seal it closed, then brush some melted butter on top. I was able to make 3 Bureks with the size of phyllo I was using.

Bake 375 F
for about 20 minutes or until the Burek is a nice golden brown.

Can be eaten hot or cold. Makes a good hors d'oeuvre if you cut into small pieces. Or just eat a whole one yourself.

No comments: